[ ART DECO WEEKEND 2014 ]
ART DECO WELCOME CENTER / TOY EXHIBIT TIMES
Ladies, gentlemen, and children of all ages, this year's ART DECO WEEKEND
is designed to be ALL FUN AND GAMES.
Of course we suggest you START AT "GO," and that would be the ART DECO WELCOME CENTER (1001 Ocean Drive). On display in the exhibition hall will be a variety of antique toys, with a special emphasis on those from the (‘20s and ‘30s) Art Deco Era. There will be vintage board games, dolls, toy cars and planes.
A sandbox will display beach toys of yore. And the walls will be covered with oversize toy ads, game boards and paper dolls.
Paper dolls! What’s a paper doll?
• Interactive Paper Doll Creation Station ... 21st-century kids learn about Deco Era Paper Dolls, and will able to make their own.
• Toy Building Station ... Future Architects will be inspired, and get a feel for the earliest Legos, Lincoln Logs, and other building block toys.
• Art Deco Exhibit ... Drawings and Paintings by local middle school students, who had taken their inspiration from vintage toys, will be on display.
• Experts from the Miami Antique Toy Show ... ecause they don’t make ‘em like they used to, toy will be on hand to talk about the toys on display and answer your questions. Bring an old toy for a chance to have it appraised!
• A Christmas Day Living Room (circa 1935) ... Furnished and Designed by Modernism.com , the room will include an antique toy train circling a tree completely decked with vintage Art Deco ornaments. Check out the toys under the tree, and remember what it was to be a wide-eyed kid on Christmas morning.
• Art Deco Weekend's Kid-At-Heart Film Series ... Don't forget the Cracker Jacks ... Once satisfyingly in touch with your inner child, head to the adjacent Welcome Center lecture hall and catch stars of the day like Shirley Temple, Judy Garland, and Ray Bolger in films such as the “Little Rascals,” “The Wizard of Oz,” and “Annie.”
THE MESSAGE IS CLEAR. BRING THE KIDS, BE A KID, HAVE A FUN DECO WEEKEND!
The Little Rascals
The Kid-At-Heart Film Series is produced in cooperation of this year's (JUST FOR KIDS) PLAYGROUND, built with invaluable support from Post Foods.